NUTCRACKER CHILDREN’S AUDITIONS 2022
Auditions will be held September 10 from 8:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. at the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center.
Ballet West is looking to cast dancers as follows:
- Dancers ages 8–18 with at least 1 year of ballet training
- Girls between the heights of 48” – 71”
- Gymnasts between the heights of 48” – 52”
- Boys between the heights of 48” – 72”
All Nutcracker activities are subject to change.
Please read all the information below. After you agree to the terms of this agreement, you will be directed to the registration form.
This year, for the health and safety of everyone involved, there will not be an in person registration as there has been in the past. Instead, the guardian/parent will measure the height (in inches) of their own dancer at home.
The registration fee is $12.00.
If you have questions or need assistance please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
THE NUTCRACKER PARTICIPATION POLICY
This policy dated August 1st, 2022 is subject to change at any time.
Please be aware of some of the precautions that MAY be put in place for auditions, rehearsals, and performances this season. Not only does Ballet West consider the health and safety of our performers to be the highest priority, we must comply with regulations and protocols set by health officials, Salt Lake County, as well as the precautions we have agreed to with our company dancer union and internal policies.
By registering for the audition, you agree that your dancer may be required to:
- Wear a mask during some or all of the audition. On audition day, dancers are required to wear a mask/face covering inside the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center Before entering the building, dancers auditioning will be screened for COVID-19 symptoms. Anyone experiencing symptoms will not be allowed entrance into the building. During the audition dancers will be divided into small groups to perform dance combinations for Ballet West’s Artistic Staff and qualified guest judges. At this time, dancers will take off their mask to perform for the judges, and will be spaced according to CDC social distancing guidelines. Each dancer will have a basket to place their mask in while they perform their dance combinations for the judges. Baskets will be sanitized between uses.
- Wear a mask for rehearsals, costume fittings, and any activities associated with the production. Prior to entering the building for rehearsal and costume fittings, dancers will be symptom checked. Anyone experiencing symptoms will not be allowed entrance. Students are required to wear a face mask in all shared common areas of the building; ie, hallway, lobby, stairway, etc. Inside the studio, students are allowed to take off their mask if they are 6 feet or greater.
- Ballet West is working towards having all cast members perform without a mask, however please be aware that Ballet West must comply with regulations and protocols set by health officials, Salt Lake County, as well as the precautions they have agreed to with the company dancer union and internal policies.
Ballet West may review and update these policies per the recommendation of health officials.
AUDITION DAY INFORMATION
The audition is for dancers, girls and boys, who are in the 3rd grade or 8 years of age and older by September 1, 2022. At least one year of ballet training is recommended.
All Roles in Ballet West Nutcracker are cast by height, skill, and ability. Each role has a specific height requirement. All dancers must be able to fit into the production costumes.
Auditions will be held September 10th at the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center.
PRIOR TO AUDITION DAY:
Only Registered dancers will be allowed to audition. Prior to the audition, a video link will be emailed to the primary email address listed on the registration form with the dance combinations each dancer will need to know for the audition along with additional information. Dancers should practice these combinations at home, and be ready to perform them at the audition. A rehearsal assistant will review dance combinations on the audition day.
AUDITION DAY EXPECTATIONS:
Auditions will be held at the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center Saturday, September 10, 2022, from 8:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. Times for individual group auditions will be sent after registration. Only Registered dancers will be allowed to audition. Please be prompt. Dancers will not be admitted into the audition after it has begun. All auditions are closed.
Audition results will be sent via email on Monday, September 12 by 9:00PM.
Some dancers may be asked to attend a Call Back Audition on Saturday September 10 for Principal Children Roles. The roles of Clara, Fritz, and Nephew are considered Principal Children Roles.
Dancers will briefly review the combinations they were sent via email with a rehearsal assistant before the audition begins. Dancers will be divided into small groups to perform combinations for Ballet West’s Artistic Staff and qualified guest judges. Dancers will be scored based on their performance and execution of the steps.
*If your dancer is 48” – 52” and a gymnast, during the audition is the time they will be asked to demonstrate their abilities. Ballet West is looking for dancers who are able to do 3 or more consecutive back handsprings. Please inform your dancer to voice their abilities when asked!
*Please remind your dancer, if at any time they feel ill or need to use the restroom, to please ask a volunteer for assistance. We would like the dancer to be as comfortable as possible during this process.
DANCERS SHOULD COME DRESSED IN CLASSICAL BALLET ATTIRE FOR THE AUDITION:
Girls wear: tights, leotard, and ballet shoes (no skirts or spanx), hair in a bun. No dangling jewelry.
Boys wear: trim fitted t-shirt, tights, sweats or bicycle shorts, ballet shoes, jazz shoes, or socks.
DANCERS CHOSEN FOR THE PRODUCTION:
Dancers chosen for the production will be sent information via the primary email address on the registration form on how to access the Ballet West Nutcracker website, which includes the dancers’ schedule, as well as other pertinent information. When filling out the registration form please choose the best email address for your primary email, as this is the email Ballet West will use to communicate with you.
Dancers chosen for the production must attend all rehearsals, costume fittings, and cast photo shoots. Each role will rehearse approximately one to three times per week. Most rehearsals are scheduled Monday through Friday 6:00PM – 9:00PM and Saturday 8:30AM – 6:30PM however, due to studio space and stage availability some rehearsals will begin at 4:00PM on weekdays and 8:00AM on Saturdays. Rehearsals begin September 14th. Performance dates are listed on the Ballet West website: The Nutcracker : Ballet West
Dancers will be placed in a performing cast as best befits their abilities within the production. Dancers will not be able to choose their own role and cast, however if you have a request for a specific performing cast, your deadline to make your request is Friday, September 16, via a Google Docs sheet that will be emailed after your acceptance letter, or available on the Parent Info Portal that is password protected, to which access is given with your dancer’s acceptance letter. Casts A-D will be dated on the Parent Portal.
All dancers must be able to fit into the production costumes, and are required to attend all scheduled costume fittings. Any dancer who is absent from their scheduled costume fitting will be dismissed from the production. The costume fitting schedule will be available after September 12.
Your child will be measured for height on the day of the audition upon check-in.