Join Ballet West and four of America’s most esteemed ballet companies over two weekends as we celebrate another season of new works. This season, the festival will focus on the work of women choreographers and women artistic directors from around the world. Experience this unparalleled event with two different programs in the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center, which will feature world premieres by Africa Guzman and Natalie Weir for Ballet West.
- Richmond Ballet – Artistic Director Stoner Winslett celebrates her 38th year by commissioning Akwarium, a new creation by Katarzyna Skarpetowska. A dancer and choreographer from Poland, Skarpetowska was named one of Dance Magazine’s “25 to Watch” last year.
- The Washington Ballet – Led by Artistic Director Julie Kent, the company will present a rising choreographer and American Ballet Theatre Corps Artist, Gemma Bond, staging a new work, MYRIAD. Her work has been called detailed and structured.
- Ballet West – Australian choreographer Natalie Weir will be doing a new reworking of her popular Jabula, uniquely retooled specifically for Ballet West. Weir’s body of work has been described as “exhilarating and stunning.” Weir has choreographed internationally, including American Ballet Theatre and Hong Kong Ballet.
- Cincinnati Ballet – For the 20th anniversary of Artistic Director Victoria Morgan, the company will present Resident Choreographer Jennifer Archibald’s signature soulful movement that “investigates human behavior.”
- Charlotte Ballet – Hope Muir and her company will bring the exciting, award-winning choreographer Robyn Mineko Williams, To Clear with an original commissioned score by Robert F. Haynes and Tony Lazzara.
- Ballet West – Stages Sweet and Bitter by Spanish choreographer Africa Guzman, which was workshopped at The Joyce Theater in the Fall of 2017 and received high praise from New York media.
“This festival was born from our wildly successful Innovations series. It is a program designed to present and promote the creation of new works for the ballet stage. It is about taking chances and seeing what other companies around the country are doing as well. I am thrilled to focus this Festival on the work of women who have given so much to our art form, but who are underrepresented in ballet leadership roles.”
AT THE ROSE WAGNER
|May 17||Evening 7:30pm|
|May 18||Evening 7:30pm|
|May 19||Matinee 2:00pm|
|May 19||Evening 7:30pm|
|May 24||Evening 7:30pm|
|May 25||Evening 7:30pm|
|May 26||Matinee 2:00pm|
|May 26||Evening 7:30pm|
VIP Festival Fan Pass
By purchasing a VIP Festival Fan pass, you will be helping us to champion and celebrate new works, created and performed by renowned companies, keeping ballet exciting and current!
Purchase a VIP Festival Fan pass and receive:
- Admission to Director’s Pointe discussions with Adam Sklute and members of visiting artistic leadership prior to each matinee and evening performance.
- Admission to observe Company Class with artists of Ballet West and the visiting companies.
- Access to the Donor Lounge at the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center.
- Invitations to weekend Cast Parties, each Saturday of the Festival.
- And a credential identifying you as a VIP Festival Fan
- Passes do not include performance tickets.
- Credential required for access to Festival amenities.
- RSVP required to attend Company Class and Cast Parties.
- Passes are valid per weekend.
- Passes are per person and nontransferable.
From Studio to CEO – Female voices in ballet leadership
MAY 23, 2018 | 6:00 PM
JESSIE ECCLES QUINNEY BALLET CENTER
4TH FLOOR, STUDIO A
52 WEST 200 SOUTH, SALT LAKE CITY
The topic of women in leadership roles in ballet has come to prominence recently with articles in the New York Times and other publications, as well as increased attention placed on companies creating opportunities to showcase female choreographers’ work. Join us for a forum discussing the gender divide in ballet companies, from the corps to the c-suite.
Each of our panelists brings a wealth of experiences, and in some ways very different experiences, to their roles as leaders of ballet today. Joining us will be:
- Kate Mattingly, Assistant Professor of Dance, University of Utah
- Artistic Director of Charlotte Ballet, Hope Muir
- Choreographer África Guzmán
- Artistic Director of Cincinnati Ballet, Victoria Morgan
- Choreographer Jennifer Archibald
- Artistic Director of Ballet West, Adam Sklute
This event is free and open to the public. Open seating only.
Choreography by Katarzyna Sharpetowska
Lauren Archer (May 19 2PM Abi Goldstein), Cody Beaton, Elena Bello (May 19 2PM Eri Nishihara),
Marty Davis, Trevor Davis, Matthew Frain, Sabrina Holland, Anthony Oates, Melissa Robinson,
Fernando Sabino, Maggie Small, Mate Szentes
THE WASHINGTON BALLET
Choreography by Gemma Bond
Victoria Arrea, Sona Kharatian, Stephanie Sorota, Sarah Steele,
Brittany Stone, Venus Villa, Corey Landolt (May 17 and 19 2PM Brooklyn Mack )
Choreography by Natalie Weir
MAY 17 AND MAY 19 EVE:
Dominic Ballard, Katie Critchlow, Jenna Rae Herrera, Lucas Horns,
Chelsea Keefer, Katherine Lawrence, Alexander MacFarlan, Emily Neale,
Chase O’Connell, Oliver Oguma, Gabrielle Salvatto, Christopher Sellars,
Beckanne Sisk, Rex Tilton, Joshua Whitehead, Arolyn Williams
MAY 18 AND MAY 19 MAT:
Katlyn Addison, Katie Critchlow, Adrian Fry, Tyler Gum, Olivia Gusti,
Kazlyn Nielsen, Trevor Naumann, Sayaka Ohtaki, Christopher Sellars,
Joshua Shutkind, Ronald Tilton, Jordan Veit, Kristina Weimer,
Elizabeth Weldon, Joshua Whitehead, Arolyn Williams
Choreography by Jennifer Archibald
Cervilio Miguel Amador, Taylor Carrasco, James Cunningham, Melissa Gelfin,
Matthew Griffin, Samantha Griffin, Michael Mengden, Christina Laforgia Morse,
Sirui Liu, Chisako Oga
Choreography by Robyn Mineko Williams
Chelsea Dumas, Colby Foss, Alessandra Ball James, Peter Mazurowski,
Maurice Mouzon Jr., Amelia Sturt-Dilley, Anson Zwingelberg
SWEET AND BITTER
Choreography by África Guzmán
MAY 24 AND MAY 26 EVE:
Allison DeBona, Chase O’Connell (5/26 Eve Emily Adams, Rex Tilton)
Katherine Lawrence, Katlyn Addison, Chelsea Keefer,
Hadriel Diniz, Alexander MacFarlan, Jordan Veit
MAY 25 AND MAY 26 MAT:
Emily Adams, Rex Tilton (5/26 Mat Allison DeBona, Chase O’Connell)
Jenna Rae Herrera, Gabrielle Salvatto, Katie Critchlow,
Joshua Shutkind, Oliver Oguma, Kyle Davis